Friday, April 29, 2011

Stop Telling Me What I Would Choose

I am so sick of the "Is being gay a choice or not" argument. Because first of all it doesn't matter. What difference would it make if I chose to be gay or not? Seriously, how does it effect your life?

Now for me personally, the only choice I made was to live honestly. I chose to come out and be honest about who I was. Now, I have known both men and women who adamently say that they did choose to be gay. So who am I to invalidate them? Who am I to say they're kidding themselves, that they didn't choose this? If they said they chose this, they chose it. End of discussion.

I also can't stand the argument of, why would gay people choose to live a life where they're bashed and bullied. Whether I was gay or not, I was going to be bullied in high school. Regardless of the junk I wanted in my trunk, I was different, and at my high school that was not a good thing.

And you know what? If someone told me today that there was a pill or a therapy that would 100% cure my homosexuality, giving me the choice to be gay or straight, I'd tell that person to fuck off. I'd choose to be queer I never found acceptance or love until I came out and found the LGBT community. I never found a community that accepted me for who I am until I met my Lesbian Aunties. The Queer community also helped heal the relationship between my mother and I, and now we both do work to end homophobia. It also helped me cut out poisonous ignorant people from my life.

So don't argue that I wouldn't choose this, because that's just dismissive of everything I went through. So get off your high horse, and realize that whether it's a choice or not, it doesn't fucking matter.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I'm sick of people asking the wrong questions. It's like when people argue that x will or won't make your kids gay. I remember watching the women on the view debate Tinky Winky and whether or not he was gay and if he was would that turn kids gay. I kept yelling a the TV, "why does it matter, who cares if your kids are gay!"

    ReplyDelete